Monday 17 June 2013

Pabbay and Mingualy

The team en-route to Pabbay
I've just returned from 10 days in the Outer Hebrides, climbing on two uninhabited islands.  Our team of 10 departed from Oban in spectacular weather. It seemed a shame to lose such a nice day to travelling.  Fortunately the high pressure dominated for several days.  Pabbay was our first destination. My climbing partner bailed at the last minute so I was climbing with Nona, which was great as neither of us had climbed on the island, so we could do whatever we wanted.  Day one was on the Poop Deck.  I climbed 8 routes leading up to E3 before seconding Murdoch up The Raven, a steep E5.  Unfortunately I had to weight the rope to get a stuck nut out and to let my forearms de-pump!
Nick hanging out on some E2
Nick and Gaz on an ace E3
Donald seconding on Endolphine Rush
Airy pitch on Endolphine Rush
The next day we went to Banded Walls and climbed two mega multi-pitch classics; Spring Squall (E1 5b) and Endolphine Rush (E3 5c).  Day 3 we went to Hoofers Geo and climbed 4 routes with  Hoofers Route (E1/2) and Fracture Clinic (E1/2) being the highlights.
Donald starting up Spring Squall (E1 5b)

Tim on a cool looking E1
Nona loving the arete action
The weather then turned, so Donald, Tony and I spent a day exploring and sea level traversing.  The seas were moody.  On several occasions we were all almost swimming but managed to keep a foot on land.

Fun on a wet day
Im sure I heard something rip...?!
Wet slab climbing in sandals
Happy as can be!
The 5th day we had a couple of hours so Nona and I went to a small crag close to the camp site and climbed 7 routes before jumping on the ferry to Mingulay.  Although the weather was hit and miss again, we managed to get a route on the mighty cliffs of Dun Mingulay.  We climbed the 4 star classic of Sula...absolutely amazing!  Unfortunately that was the only route I climbed on Mingulay due to the weather and picking up a wee injury so I just went swimming in the sea for a day!  Yes it was very cold!

Nona seconding up Sula (E2 5b)

Ian getting lost
A super trip and can't wait to get back out there next year!

No comments: